Roberts Moore is a senior Litigation Partner with Gentry Locke. He has been involved in major litigation in the area of professional responsibility, employment law, personal injury and wrongful death actions, and defamation cases. He has been a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers for a number of years, and he has lectured to bar groups on trial related topics for a number of years. He has been recognized consistently as one of the leading trial lawyers in the Commonwealth of Virginia by Benchmark Litigation, Best Lawyers in America and Super Lawyers. He focuses his practice in almost all areas of civil cases that are resolved by jury trials.
- Years with GL
- 5 children, 12 grandchildren
- Books read yearly
- Had you not chosen law, what career might you have pursued?
Professional baseball player. I love sports. Growing up, I played football, basketball and baseball.
- You take great pride in the work you do. Tell us what this career means to you.
It’s a credit to me when someone asks me to be his or her lawyer. It demands that I be available, that I look out for the interest of the client, that I do everything I can to perform my job perfectly and that I conduct myself with honor. Inside the firm, I try to set an example of hard work and respect. I believe that we’ve earned a reputation as a firm with truly great lawyers, and I am very proud of that.
- When you leave work, what do you enjoy doing to relax?
I play competitive bridge and attend sporting events. I like to spend time with my family and love listening to good music ranging from bluegrass to the Roanoke Symphony.
- University of Richmond School of Law, LL.B, 1961
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1955-1958
- Represented plaintiffs in products liability cases ending in settlements or verdicts ranging from $13 million to $750,000
- Represented plaintiffs in tractor-trailer and automobile accident cases ending in settlements or verdicts ranging from $7,500,000 to $250,000
- Represented plaintiffs and defendants in medical malpractice cases with settlements or verdicts in favor of his clients in excess of $1.5 million
- Represented university coaches, professors, athletic directors in breach of contract claims
- Represented individuals in various white collar criminal matters at trial and before grand juries in federal and state proceedings
- Negotiated separation and termination of employment matters
- Represented plaintiffs and defendants in slip and fall cases ending in settlements or verdicts in favor of his clients for $700,000-$800,000
- Represented plaintiffs and defendants in sexual abuse civil cases
- Represented plaintiffs in nursing home litigation ending in settlements ranging from $350,000 to $400,000
- Represented defendants in intellectual property matters, including patent infringement cases
- Represented defendants in RICO litigation
- Member, Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Member, Roanoke Bar Association
- Fellow, The Virginia Bar Foundation
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Member, Board of Trustees, University of Richmond (2013-Present)
- Chairman, Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Board, Virginia State Bar, 1986
- Member, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® for more than 25 years in the areas of Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants (1987-2015) and Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs (1987-2015); named “Roanoke Personal Injury Litigator of the Year” byThe Best Lawyers in America® (2010)
- Elected a Top Attorney: Personal Injury by Roanoke-area attorneys surveyed by the Roanoker Magazine (2009, 2012)
- Named a Top Rated Lawyer for Litigation, Professional Liability, and Medical Malpractice law by American Lawyer Media (2013)
- Listed in Benchmark Litigation as a Local Litigation Star for Personal Injury, Product Liability, and Employment (2012-2014), and Benchmark Plaintiffs for Product Liability (2012-2014), Personal Injury, and Product Liability (2014)
- Named to Virginia Super Lawyers in the area of Professional Liability: Plaintiff (2007-2014)
- Named a “Legal Eagle” for Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants and Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs by Virginia Livingmagazine (2012)
- Designated as one of the Legal Elite by Virginia Business magazine in the Alternative Dispute Resolution category (2006) and Civil Litigation (2007)
Case ResultsThe results of client matters depend on a variety of factors unique to each matter. Past successes do not predict or guarantee future successes.
- May 21, 2014 — Client Awarded Over $387,000 for Surgical Injury
- Mar 7, 2014 — $6.4 Million Verdict for Faulty Injection Causing Permanent Paralysis
- Nov 21, 2013 — Medical Hardship Ignored by Physician Results in $300,000+ Award
- Jul 26, 2012 — Unnecessary Procedure Leads to Wrongful Death
- Client Awarded Over $387,000 for Surgical Injury The results of client matters depend on a variety of factors unique to each matter. Past successes do not predict or guarantee future successes.Case Results
- $6.4 Million Verdict for Faulty Injection Causing Permanent Paralysis The results of client matters depend on a variety of factors unique to each matter. Past successes do not predict or guarantee future successes.Case Results
- Medical Hardship Ignored by Physician Results in $300,000+ Award The results of client matters depend on a variety of factors unique to each matter. Past successes do not predict or guarantee future successes.Case Results
- Twenty-two Attorneys named to 2014 Best Lawyers in America list; Firm Ranked in Tier 1 for Best Law FirmsNews
- Unnecessary Procedure Leads to Wrongful Death The results of client matters depend on a variety of factors unique to each matter. Past successes do not predict or guarantee future successes.Case Results