Abby Broughton has a passion for problem solving. She focuses her practice on personal injury, medical malpractice, and complex litigation matters. Abby joined Gentry Locke in the fall of 2019 after graduating from the University of Richmond School of Law.
Scuba dives around the word
Feet tall (depending on heels!)
What made you decide to pursue a law career?
I grew up watching my dad make a huge difference in his clients' lives. For him, being an attorney wasn't a 9-5 job - it was his life! My family met his clients and got to know them. I even remember sharing meals with them at our home. Hearing their stories and watching my dad help them through their struggles really stuck with me. I saw him change lives, and I intend to do the same.
It sounds like helping people runs in your blood. What other things are you involved in around our community?
There's a line that I love from the television series, "New Amsterdam." The main doctor frequently asks, "how can I help?" That simple question resonates deeply with me. That’s how I operate. If I can help, I’m going to. Outside of work, I am involved in the rescue efforts of local stray animals, and I have fostered and assisted with their placements into loving homes. I'm also a leader with YoungLife Capernaum, an organization that works to enrich the lives of young people with disabilities. I really believe in the difference a person can make by giving their time and effort to a meaningful cause.
After school, you returned to the Roanoke Valley. Do you feel that you are where you belong?
Absolutely. I love the outdoors and the mountains and scenery here are second to none. The Roanoke community has also given me so much in terms of opportunities, life lessons, and human connections. Most importantly, my life revolves around my family, and Roanoke is their home. It's a true honor to serve this community that I love.
- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D. 2019
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, B.S. 2015
- Conducted research and drafted memoranda on a wide range of complex legal issues
- Drafted pleadings including warrants in debt, complaints, discovery, and expert designations
- Prepared cross-contamination reports and performed legal research in preparation for trial
- Prepared demand packages to assist in resolving matters prelitigation
- Drafted mediation statements and attended a number of successful mediations, arbitrations, depositions, and trials
- Secretary, Virginia Bar Association, Law Student Council (2017-2019)
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association; student (2016-2019), member (2019-Present)
- Law Student Advisor, University of Richmond (2017-2019)
- Board Member, Client Counseling and Negotiation Board (2017-2019)
- Board Member, Carrico Moot Court (2017-2019)
- Member, Roanoke Bar Association (2019-Present)
- Member, Lewis F. Powell Inn of Court (2017-Present)
- Member, American Bar Association (2016-Present)
- Member, Richmond Bar Association (2016-2019)