Andrew Finnicum helps people who have suffered personal injury due to negligence or workplace accidents. Andrew has recovered millions of dollars for clients throughout Virginia who are victims of medical malpractice, have suffered workplace injuries that entitle them to workers’ compensation benefits, and who have been injured or lost their lives in boating and motor vehicle accidents. Andrew has appeared before the Workers’ Compensation Commission, the General District Courts of Virginia, the Circuit Courts of Virginia, the Court of Appeals of Virginia, the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation, and the United States District Court for the Central District of California. Prior to joining Gentry Locke, he worked with a Lynchburg firm handling workers’ compensation, personal injury matters, and consumer litigation. As a law student he was a judicial extern for the Honorable Charles Dorsey, where he authored memoranda, conducted legal research, and observed Circuit Court proceedings.
Kids who I adore
Trips to Latin American countries
Years married to high school sweetheart
What do you like to do when you get home from work?
I have seven kids. Once I get home and catch up on their schooling and their day, we like to get outside, hike the local trails, go camping, or visit one of the many local farms.
People would be surprised to know…
I write and direct the year-end musical for our homeschool academy. I also teach band music to local homeschoolers. I recently built a farmhouse table and benches so the whole family can fit when we share dinner together.
If I wasn’t practicing law...
I would focus on medical missions. It was my second choice of service paths. I currently take annual mission trips to Central America. Two of my children have traveled with me, with two more scheduled to go my next trip. I hope my children gain an appreciation for what they have so they do not take it for granted. I also want them to recognize what they can give to others and realize they can change the world, one life at a time.
What is an important life lesson for you?
Spending time in Mexico and Central America taught me to not take for granted the many benefits that we enjoy here every day, often without giving them a second thought.
- Washington & Lee University School of Law, J.D. magna cum laude, 2010
- Liberty University Helms School of Government, B.S. summa cum laude, 2007
- $5,000,000 successful resolution in favor of victim of legal malpractice
- $4,000,000 successful resolution in favor of family in wrongful death boating crash in Irvington, Virginia
- $900,000 successful resolution in favor of family in wrongful death tractor-trailer crash on Route 220
- Mediated workers’ compensation matter resulting in claimant receiving benefits totaling over $750,000
- $500,000 successful resolution in favor of victims of tractor trailer crash on Interstate 81
- $475,000 successful resolution in favor of victim of multi-vehicle crash on Interstate 81
- $350,000 successful resolution in favor of victim of deck collapse in Halifax, Virginia
- Mediated workers’ compensation case involving traumatic electrocution injuries resulting in claimant receiving over $300,000 in benefits
- Successfully tried federal case involving tractor-trailer accident with contested liability resulting in jury verdict of $300,000
- Successfully represented homeowner in products liability lawsuit against manufacturer and installer of home insulation product
- Handled a myriad of cases from intake to trial in the Workers’ Compensation Commission, the General District Courts, and the Circuit Courts of Virginia
- Appellate experience in the Supreme Court of Virginia, the Court of Appeals of Virginia, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Admitted, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia (2018-Present)
- Admitted, United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia (2013-Present)
- Virginia State Bar (2010-Present)
- Named a “Virginia Super Lawyers Rising Star” in Personal Injury General: Plaintiff (2017-2019)
- Second Place, 2008 John W. Davis Appellate Advocacy Moot Court Competition for both Best Brief Award and Best Oralist Award
- Co-Administrator for the 2009 John W. Davis Appellate Advocacy Moot Court Competition
Case StudiesThe results of client matters depend on a variety of factors unique to each matter. Past successes do not predict or guarantee future successes.
Legal Malpractice case now included on "Million-Dollar Settlements of 2017" list by Virginia Lawyers WeeklyNews
Settlement for $125k in accident due to inattentive truck driver on I-81 The results of client matters depend on a variety of factors unique to each matter. Past successes do not predict or guarantee future successes.Case Studies