Andrew Finnicum helps people who have suffered personal injury due to negligence or workplace accidents. Prior to joining Gentry Locke, he worked with a Lynchburg firm handling workers’ compensation, personal injury matters, and consumer litigation. As a law student he was a judicial extern for the Honorable Charles Dorsey, where he authored memoranda, conducted legal research, and observed Circuit Court proceedings. Andrew has appeared before the Workers’ Compensation Commission, the General District Courts of Virginia, the Circuit Courts of Virginia, the Court of Appeals of Virginia, the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation, and the United States District Court for the Central District of California.
Kids who I adore
Years I lived next to a national forest
Years I’ve played the trumpet
You’ve written a book – tell us what it’s about.
In 2011 “The Calling of Fatherhood” was published. It’s an examination of the biblical call for fathers to raise their children to be responsible, ethical, and a spiritual and moral example for the next generation.
What about practicing law most appeals to you?
I love the opportunity to help people get through extremely difficult times in their lives. If I weren’t a lawyer, I’d probably be serving impoverished communities in Central America, which I currently do in the spring each year.
What do you like to do when you get home from work?
I have seven kids. Once I get home and catch up on their schooling and their day, we like to get outside and walk to the park, hike the local trails, and work up an appetite for dinner.
What is an important life lesson for you?
Spending time in Mexico and Central America taught me to not take for granted the many benefits that we enjoy here every day, often without giving them a second thought.
- Washington & Lee University School of Law, J.D. magna cum laude, 2010
- Liberty University Helms School of Government, B.S. summa cum laude, 2007
- Mediated workers’ compensation case involving traumatic electrocution injuries resulting in claimant receiving over $300,000 in benefits
- Successfully tried federal case involving tractor-trailer accident with contested liability resulting in jury verdict of $300,000 for the Plaintiff
- Successfully represented homeowner in products liability lawsuit against manufacturer and installer of home insulation product
- Mediated workers’ compensation matter resulting in claimant receiving benefits totaling over $750,000
- Handled a myriad of cases from intake to trial in the Workers’ Compensation Commission, the General District Courts, and the Circuit Courts of Virginia
- Handled appeals to the Worker’s Compensation Commission, the Court of Appeals of Virginia, and the Supreme Court of Virginia
- Admitted, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia (2018-Present)
- Admitted, United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia (2013-Present)
- Virginia State Bar (2010-Present)
- Named a “Virginia Super Lawyers Rising Star” in Personal Injury General: Plaintiff (2017-2018)
- Second Place, 2008 John W. Davis Appellate Advocacy Moot Court Competition for both Best Brief Award and Best Oralist Award
- Co-Administrator for the 2009 John W. Davis Appellate Advocacy Moot Court Competition
Case StudiesThe results of client matters depend on a variety of factors unique to each matter. Past successes do not predict or guarantee future successes.
Legal Malpractice case now included on "Million-Dollar Settlements of 2017" list by Virginia Lawyers WeeklyNews
Settlement for $125k in accident due to inattentive truck driver on I-81 The results of client matters depend on a variety of factors unique to each matter. Past successes do not predict or guarantee future successes.Case Studies