Kelsey Martin practices with Gentry Locke’s Employment Law team, advising business owners and Management on employment matters. She also defends federal and state court claims involving employment-related issues, including the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), Title VII, Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), affirmative action plans, noncompete agreements, trade secrets, and related matters. Prior to joining Gentry Locke, Kelsey clerked for The Honorable Joseph J. Ellis and The Honorable Ricardo Rigual.
Favorite teams - Hokies & Packers
Novels I read in a year
People would be surprised to learn that...
I interned in Los Angeles and New York City when I was in college.
Why did you want to become a lawyer?
Growing up, I was always told I should go to law school (I wasn't arguing, I was explaining why I was right!). While I was in college, I realized that I wanted to dedicate my career to helping others. I was raised in a family of small business owners, so identifying with and helping business owners comes naturally to me.
What made you want to move back to Roanoke?
Spending a few years in the northern Virginia area reemphasized the unique and special qualities of Roanoke. Roanoke continues to grow in exciting ways, but the close-knit, caring community remains the same.
What do you like to do in your spare time?
I really enjoy attending sporting events -- football, baseball, basketball, hockey. There is nothing better than spending a day with family and friends while watching a game.
- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2016
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, B.S., magna cum laude, 2013
- As a Circuit Court Law Clerk, conducted legal research, prepared bench memoranda, drafted opinions, and observed court proceedings
- Represented indigent juveniles and adults on criminal matters such as domestic assault and battery and protective orders
- As a professorial Research Assistant, conducted legal research on accomplice liability, federal sentencing guidelines, presidential signing statements, the death penalty, and the practical and legal implications of utilizing lethal injection
- Member, The Virginia Bar Association (2016-Present)
- Managing Editor, Richmond Journal of Law and the Public Interest (2015-2016)
- Orrell-Brown Award for Clinical Excellence in the Children’s Law Center (2016)
- CALI Award for Advanced Legal Research
- Best Oral Advocate Award, Children’s Defense Clinic (2015)