Brittany Mountjoy is a member of the firm’s Criminal & Government Investigations practice group. Brittany regularly represents clients in both civil and criminal matters. Previously, Brittany worked as a Deputy State Public Defender at the Colorado State Public Defender’s Office. There, she advocated for indigent clients in criminal matters, tried numerous jury trials, and worked on several appeals. Prior to and during law school, Brittany worked in Washington, D.C. and has considerable experience in international and U.S. legislative and regulatory affairs.
Pets (2 dogs, 2 cats)
Books read a week
I see you are an animal lover. Tell us about your favorite animal.
I grew up in Warrenton, Virginia (and for those who don't know - this is horse country) and have been riding horses since I was two years old. I remember waking up at 5:30 am to take care of the horses my family owned. It was lot of work, but I loved it. Horses and animals in general are a big passion of mine. I also currently have two labs - a chocolate and a yellow lab and two cats.
You like to travel. What is your favorite place you have visited?
I have been to almost all 50 states in the U.S. I still have Washington, Idaho, and Montana to go. I have been to Italy twice, lived in France for a year and backpacked all around Europe, spent some time in Ottawa and Quebec snowboarding, and to Peru for APEC meetings. Of them all, I love Spain probably the most. The culture and way of life is so different. I love the slow, laid-back lifestyle. People take their time there, but they are deliberate to enjoy and appreciate the world around them.
You've lived in Europe for a while. What was that like?
I lived in Europe for one year in both the north and south of France. I did a study abroad program in Amiens in the north of France (right above Paris) and worked on a free-range chicken farm in a super small town in Tartas, south of Bordeaux. It was a great experience, and it was nice to be able to travel on the weekends to all of the cool towns and cities in France and in countries nearby.
- American University, Washington College of Law, J.D.
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, M.S. in Science and Technology Studies
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, B.S. in Animal and Poultry Sciences
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, B.A. in International Studies
- As a Deputy State Public Defender at the Colorado State Public Defender’s Office litigated over 1000 cases, including 10 jury trials and numerous revocation hearings
- As a Deputy State Public Defender at the Colorado State Public Defender’s Office wrote and handled multiple appeals
- Conducted legal research, authored publications, and provided support to local and federal policymakers on issues of sexual violence in custodial settings at Project on Addressing Rape in Washington D.C.
- Represented the specialty chemical industry on the International Trade Advisory Committee (ITAC) by providing detailed policy and technical advice and recommendations to the Department of Commerce and the United States Trade Representative in 2017
- Represented the specialty chemical industry at the APEC Chemical Dialogues in Lima, Peru in 2016
- Drafted and submitted comments on regulatory matters to federal and international agencies
- Educated congressional staff, regulatory agencies, and embassy officials on trade issues
- Member, Virginia State Bar
- Member, Maryland State Bar
- Member, Colorado State Bar
- Member, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, Virginia Bar Association
- Member, Metropolitan Richmond Women’s Bar Association
- Member, Kappa Kappa Gamma