Jean is a partner in our General Commercial practice group. Her practice is focused on assisting clients with the acquisition, disposition, leasing, and financing of commercial real estate properties. Prior to joining Gentry Locke, Jean practiced for over 25 years in the Hampton Roads, Virginia area.
Serious Virginia Tech fans in the family
You recently moved to Roanoke from the Virginia Beach area. What drew you into the mountains of Southwest Virginia?
We owe a lot of our love for Southwest Virginia to Virginia Tech. We've made the drive from Virginia Beach to Blacksburg many times during football season. It's difficult to not fall in love with this region, especially at such a beautiful time of year! My husband and I are delighted to now call Roanoke home, and we're looking forward to exploring everything Southwest Virginia has to offer!
Speaking of higher education, you have two children in school now. What are they studying?
My daughter is in graduate school pursuing a doctorate in occupational therapy. My son is currently in veterinary school - which is especially interesting considering we have never had any pets!
What do you enjoy doing when you have some time away from the office?
We enjoy going on cruises. Throughout the years, my husband and I have cruised to Alaska, Mexico, the Caribbean, and the Mediterranean. It has allowed us to visit many places, albeit in most cases for a shorter period of time than we would have liked. We hope to return to some of our favorite spots when we have more time!
- University of Richmond, J.D.
- Bucknell University, B.A.
- Represented lenders, purchasers, sellers, property’ owners and business owners in commercial real estate, business and financial transactions, including financings, acquisitions and dispositions, loan workouts and forbearance, mergers and acquisitions, defeasance, land use, development, contract and leasing matters
- Represented a national convenience store operator with new store development
- Served as Virginia counsel for out of state law firms with an emphasis on loan document review for compliance with Virginia law and providing Virginia legal opinions.
- Community Solutions/Funding Panel Member and New Agency Certification Panel Member, United Way of South Hampton Roads (2013-2019)
- Member, LEAD Hampton Roads (2010)
- Chair (2007-2008), Board of Governors (2005-2009), Area Representative and Member, Virginia State Bar – Real Property Section
- University of Richmond Law Review
- University of Richmond Moot Court Board
- Comment, Executive Privilege: Historic Scope and Use in the Watergate and Environmental Protection Agency Hearings, 18 U. RICH. L. REV. 203 (1983)
- Turning Brownfields to Green: The Virginia Voluntary Remediation Program, Volume XIX, Number 2, The Fee Simple (The Newsletter of the Virginia State Bar Real Property Section), May 1999 (co-authored with Stephen R. Romine)