Hugh works in our General Commercial practice group focusing on finance, business and real estate law matters.
Prior to joining Gentry Locke, Hugh worked as a banking and finance attorney in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Competitive eating challenge won
Miles traveled on I-81
Cups of coffee per day
You've spent a lot of time in Virginia, but you also love to travel. Where have you been and what are some of your future travel plans?
I love Virginia. Growing up in Roanoke, I've spent a ton of time outdoors and enjoying the nearby mountains. I attended Virginia Tech and Washington and Lee University, and am happy to be back home working and living in Roanoke again. I've had a chance to do some traveling and have plans to do more. During college, I spent some time in Wyoming and have been fortunate enough to visit many states and a few of our country’s national parks. Before law school, I visited the UK and South America. I’d like to go to Australia and New Zealand next, but I’ll take any opportunity to get out and explore new places.
How do you spend your time when you're not in the office?
I enjoy doing things that get me outside and/or get my heart rate up. I've been bow hunting since I was in high school and am already there if fishing is involved. In more recent years, I've started golfing and gotten into boxing.
How did you decide you wanted to become an attorney?
I had a few internships that steered me in this direction. Law was and still is appealing to me because it's dynamic and constantly changing. You have to work to keep up. I wanted a challenging career. So far, it hasn't disappointed.
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, J.D.
- Editorial Board, Washington and Lee Law Review
- Kirgis Fellow
- President, Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity, Staples Chapter
- Treasurer, Washington and Lee Veterans’ Advocates
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech), B.S., Psychology, summa cum laude
- Assisted industry leading finance practice with transactions focusing on subscription credit, accounts receivable monetizations and collateralized loan obligations
- Assisted with representation of both borrowers and lenders in syndicated and bilateral loan transactions
- Secured and unsecured commercial lending
- Commercial real estate sales and acquisitions
- Advised clients with respect to complex commercial contracts, including Software as a Service (SaaS) Agreements and related software licensing documentation
- Member, Virginia State Bar
- Member, Roanoke Bar Association
- Member, North Carolina State Bar
- Volunteer and Tutor, St. John’s Episcopal Church, Community Youth Program.