Lauren Eells is an attorney in our General Commercial group. Lauren primarily assists individuals, families, business owners, trustees and beneficiaries with various estate related matters including extensive planning using various trust structures, multi-generational wealth preservation techniques, business succession planning and trust and estate administration. Lauren also advises clients on matters related to transfer taxes and the taxation of estates, trusts, and beneficiaries. Additionally, Lauren works with closely-held businesses assisting with general corporate matters.
Sons, including identical twins
Red Fox Labrador, Moose
Outdoor adventures with my husband and kids (and counting!)
My favorite part of being a lawyer is...
Learning about my clients and their personal stories. I like having long-term relationships with them and being entrusted to understand so many different areas and facets of their life. Creating an estate solution so they don’t have to worry about what will happen after they are gone is a great responsibility.
If I wasn’t practicing law…
I would be a nurse in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. I have always been interested in medicine and our twins spent significant time in the NICU after they arrived prematurely. The experience had a profound impact on our family. NICU nurses act as caretakers, counselors and healers during a family’s time of crisis. It would be fulfilling to work at the intersection of science and miracle-making.
- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D.
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, B.A., cum laude
- Assists individuals with estate planning as well as estate/trust administration matters.
- Represents trustees, personal representatives and beneficiaries in trust administration matters.
- Provides advice on grantor trusts, generation-skipping trusts, charitable remainder and lead trusts, qualified personal residence trusts, irrevocable life insurance trusts and family limited liability companies.
- Assists individuals with powers of attorney, advanced medical directives and medical powers of attorney as part of their overall estate plan.
- Counsels individuals on tax preservation techniques through the implementation of various trusts.
- Assists closely-held business owners in the transfer of ownership using estate planning techniques.
- Assists companies in general corporate matters including formation, drafting or revising operating agreements or bylaws, developing and implementing liquidation or succession plans.
- Member, Virginia State Bar
- Member, The Virginia Bar Association
- Member, Roanoke Bar Association
- Member, Virginia Women Attorneys Association
- Member, Roanoke Valley Estate Planning Council
- United Way of Roanoke Valley Board, Finance Committee (2023)
- Second Presbyterian Church Preschool Board (2019-2022)
- Board of Directors, Conflict Resolution Center (2012-2013)
- Board of Directors, Virginia Nonprofit Law Center (2017-2018)
IP: From the Silicon Valley to the Roanoke and New River Valleys, What Every Business Owner Needs to KnowArticles