Scott Foster practices in Gentry Locke’s Richmond office, helping businesses with their land use and corporate law needs and handling outdoor advertising law matters. Additionally, Scott is a member of our Legislative Affairs and Solar Development team. Scott earned both his undergraduate and law degrees from William and Mary. In 2010, he became the first college student to be elected to the Williamsburg City Council, where he served as Vice-Mayor from 2016-2018. He was instrumental in the adoption of the 2013 City of Williamsburg Comprehensive Plan, advocating for additional residential density in Williamsburg’s downtown, which led to major reinvestment and development of that area. Scott currently serves on the Williamsburg Tourism Development Grant Review Committee and the Olde Towne Medical and Dental Center Board of Directors and remains an active member of the community, always seeking to improve the local and state economies.
Easy-going English Setter, "June"
Years served on Williamsburg City Council
Rockfish caught in a day
Days worked on fixer-upper house
You were the Vice-Mayor of Williamsburg. Did that change how you interact with people?
It did. Serving on Williamsburg City Council taught me to be a better advocate, build consensus and communicate with folks who don’t necessarily agree with me.
What do you like most about your job?
I’m passionate about local and state government economic development and land use issues; they’re at the heart of the economy and quality of life for any locality and its surrounding region. It is rewarding to help entrepreneurs, local and state governments and other stakeholders work together to bring about positive change.
Do you like to travel?
I know Virginia very well. As kid it seemed like the route we took to get somewhere was always different than the one we’d take home. I still do that today. As a result, I’ve covered most of the Commonwealth at least once. I usually pick routes that pass a hometown barbecue, fried chicken, or seafood restaurant.
- The College of William and Mary, J.D., 2014
- The College of William and Mary, B.A., 2010
- Focuses on land use, zoning, real estate and corporate strategies
- Represents clients in commercial property acquisition, local and state government permitting and land use regulation and successful build out as well as operation of various small businesses
- Represents various small business startups and assists in expansion of existing businesses
- Successfully advocated for the rezoning of a large commercial parcel to residential use resulting in ninety-seven townhome units
- Successfully rezoned older motel property into high-quality, affordable apartment complex
- Member, Board of Directors, Olde Towne Medical and Dental Center (2018-Present)
- Member, Tourism Development Grant Fund Review Committee, Williamsburg, VA (2018-Present)
- Williamsburg City Council; Council Member (2010-2018), Vice-Mayor (2016-2018)
- City of Williamsburg Economic Development Authority Council Liaison (2016-2018)
- Williamsburg Area Destination Marketing Committee (2016-2018)
- City of Williamsburg Representative, Greater Williamsburg Chamber and Tourism Alliance Board of Directors (2010-2016), Executive Committee (2014-2016)