Andrew Gay is a Partner in Gentry Locke’s Construction Law group, where he focuses on assisting clients with construction contracts and construction dispute resolution and representing landlords with lease agreement compliance and legal proceedings due to tenant breach of lease agreements.
Andrew has experience with resolving lien and bond claims, performance disputes, licensing investigations, workplace safety violations, design defects, construction defects, and delay claims. Andrew’s experience in construction began at an early age and greatly influenced his career goals. Before law school, Andrew worked as a project manager for one of America’s largest, privately-held real estate companies, where he managed commercial construction projects throughout Florida. After law school and prior to joining Gentry Locke, Andrew served as Associate General Counsel for one of Virginia’s largest general contractors. His hands-on experience in the construction industry elevates his ability to handle complex processes and assist in the challenges facing contractors and developers. Andrew received his Bachelor of Science degree in Construction Management from Everglades University in Sarasota, Florida, and his Juris Doctor from Liberty University School of Law. He is licensed to practice in Virginia and Florida.
Amazing and beautiful daughters
Highest elevation skied
Houses I have renovated
What do you enjoy most about being a lawyer?
My passion is to help the construction industry in every way. Whether my client is a laborer, ENR-ranked contractor, supplier, or project owner, I love helping my clients mitigate risk, solve problems, grow their business, and enabling each of them to be the best at their craft. I strive to be a top advocate for the industry and my clients.
What would you be doing if you weren’t a lawyer?
I would still be working in the construction industry. My dream non-lawyer job is to be a custom home builder and developer in the Rockies (so I can ski when I am not working!).
What are some fun facts people may not know about you?
I love great food. I was a music education major when I first started college. Nora, my oldest daughter, was born during winter storm Jonas.
- Liberty University School of Law, J.D.
- Everglades University, B.S. in Construction Management
- Represented top 50 ENR-ranked specialty trade subcontractor in bid protest for multi-million dollar subcontract on airport expansion project
- Defended multiple national builders in construction defect lawsuits by owners associations
- Represented multi-national satellite manufacturer in claims against the general contractor related to non-performance and delay
- Assisted various road building contractors and subcontractors in preparing, submitted, presenting, and resolving claims on public and private projects
- Defended waterproofing subcontractor on claims by top 50 ENR-ranked general contractor concerning construction defects on high-rise waterfront condominium
- Assisted multiple general and subcontractors in preparation and enforcement of mechanic’s liens to secure payment for work performed
- Represented subsidiary company in a dispute regarding owner’s claim for liquidated damages against the subsidiary. Obtained a favorable resolution for subsidiary without filing lawsuit
- Conducted multiple internal investigations of alleged employment discrimination in the workplace, all of which resulted in dismissal of the action at either the administrative or court levels
- Investigated and defended company from a civil penalty imposed by the Department of Labor, Mine Safety & Health Administration, which was concluded by the government’s vacation of the citations
- Negotiated multiple construction contracts – design build contracts, joint-venture contracts, general contracts, subcontracts – for various road, bridge, industrial, and water/waste water projects
- Assisted in matters relating to Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) Compliance
- OSHA 30 Certified
- Admitted to practice in Florida, Virginia, and the United States District Courts for the Western and Eastern Districts of Virginia
- Virginia State Bar – Construction Law & Public Contracts Section
- The Florida Bar – Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- American Bar Association – Forum on Construction Law
- Named a Lynchburg Business Top Lawyer in Construction Law (2020-2022)
- Author, Supreme Court of Florida Upholds the Frye Standard, Carlton Fields (November 2018)
- Author, Fourth DCA Rules Ch. 558 Notice of Defect Can Constitute Commencement of Action, Carlton Fields (September 2018)
- Presenter, “Changes to AIA Construction Contracts,” Gentry Locke and Brown Edwards Construction Seminar, Virtual, 2020
- Presenter, “Risk Management,” AGC VA Project Manager Development Program, 2020
- Presenter, Risk Management in Construction Contracts, Associated General Contractors (AGC) Young Construction Leaders (June 2018)
- Presenter, From Project Manager To Attorney At Law: Things I Wish I Knew When I Managed Construction Projects, Brown Edwards’ 2017 Annual Central Virginia Construction Conference (November 2017)
- Presenter, ESI Competence – A Rumsfeldian Approach to Ethical E-Discovery Old School, Meet New Tech – CLE Seminar (September 2017)
- Presenter, Doing Business Together – Ten Things to Consider Before You Sign, Virginia Transportation Construction Alliance (VTCA) Annual Meeting (July 2017)
- Presenter, Intricacies of Construction Schedules and Claims, Gentry Locke and Delta Consulting (June 2017)
Gentry Locke Partner Andrew O. Gay Selected as Associate Fellow of the Construction Lawyers Society of AmericaNews