Interstate 81 Developments, Impacts, and Updates
An April, 2019 deal reached in the Virginia General Assembly means that Interstate 81 will be receiving an ongoing infusion of cash to fund major improvements to the congested roadway, with projects beginning as soon as next year. This is tremendous news for the entire I-81 corridor in Virginia — and especially for Roanoke, the largest Virginia city along the interstate. These improvements will reduce the congestion that has plagued the corridor and will expedite the flow of commerce.
Here at Gentry Locke, headquartered in Roanoke, we are excited about the growth and new development these improvements will spur over the next 10 to 15 years, and we look forward to helping facilitate this expansion all along the I-81 corridor.
Gentry Locke attorneys have deep legal expertise in a number of practice areas, making our firm an ideal partner in progress. From construction to banking to corporate reorganization, our attorneys can provide the guidance, individualized service and responsiveness to help businesses capitalize on these opportunities.
We facilitate road-building/construction projects, real estate transactions, advise businesses about labor issues, assist in “brownfields” development of previously contaminated sites, help navigate environmental regulations, work with local governments on zoning and land-use issues, and help safeguard the intellectual property of businesses.
Billions of dollars in funding will build a better I-81, energizing economic development along the entire corridor. Gentry Locke is ideally situated to assist businesses and individuals to make the most of the opportunities this will open.
- Virginia Transportation Construction Alliance
- Roanoke Regional Chamber
- Harrisonburg-Rockingham Chamber of Commerce
- Lexington-Rockbridge Chamber of Commerce
- Gas tax increase, bonds to fund I-81 upgrades, pass General Assembly
- Deal reached on gas tax increase to fund transportation improvements
- Interstate 81 work plan includes more cameras, message boards
- VDOT announces new I-81 Program Delivery Director Dave Covington
- Push back against regional gas tax increase to fund I-81 improvements
- I-81 Committee discusses priorities, projects and timelines
- I-81 Committee to meet for first time
- Interstate 81 Improvement Plan
- State Lawmakers Appointed to I-81 Committee
- Warner, Kaine urge consideration of Federal Funding for I-81
- With funding plan approved, discussions begin on I-81 priorities
- Northam call I-81 funding package “a big win for Virginia”
- Local road projects to benefit from I-81 funding plan
Practices & Specialties
- Acquisition & Development
- Billboard & Outdoor Advertising Law
- Construction Claims
- Contract Disputes
- Contract Negotiation & Preparation
- Employment & Non-Compete Agreements
- Environmental Permitting
- Government Contracting
- Business & Corporate
- Real Estate
- Employment & Labor