Ben Law practices with the firm’s Business & Corporate group. Prior to joining Gentry Locke, Ben was a Senior Consultant in Deloitte’s commercial IT Advisory practice. He was a legal extern for The Honorable Jon P. McCalla in United States District Court, Western District of Tennessee, and served as a Student Attorney for the University of Memphis School of Law Neighborhood Preservation Clinic, for which he was named “Law Student of the Year.” During law school, Ben also served as a Writing Fellow to the University of Memphis School of Law Writing Center.
Legislative amendment co-authored
Cups of coffee daily
March Madness brackets won
If I weren't practicing law...
I would probably still be in the IT advisory field, where I focused on internal controls auditing, and consulting on mitigating technology risks.
Your last name is Law. Do you come from a family of lawyers?
No, and yes! While I don’t know of any lawyers on the Law side of the family, my mother's grandfather was a lawyer and a judge in Memphis, Tennessee until the early 1970s.
You are originally from Roanoke. What has changed the most since you last lived here?
A lot has changed in Roanoke, and it’s really exciting to see. While I was raised in the Raleigh Court neighborhood, I’ve noticed all the great options we now have to live downtown. I have especially enjoyed seeing old buildings repurposed into residential or mixed-use developments.
- The University of Memphis Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law, J.D. magna cum laude (2018)
- Virginia Tech Pamplin School of Business, M.S. (2011) and B.S. (2010) in Accounting & Information Systems
- Prepare stock purchase agreements
- Prepare asset purchase agreements
- Prepare independent contractor agreements
- Prepare flight services agreements in accordance with FAA regulations
- Assist clients with commercial real estate development matters
- Perform due diligence reviews
- Assist individuals with new business entity formation
- Advise clients on stock repurchase plans
- Co-authored the 2018 legislative amendments to Tennessee’s Neighborhood Preservation Act (Tenn. Code Ann. § 13-6-101, et seq.)
- Member, Virginia State Bar (2018-Present)
- Law Student of the Year, Neighborhood Preservation, Inc. (Memphis, 2018)
- Articles Editor, University of Memphis Law Review, Volume 48 (January 2017 – May 2018)
- Staff Member, University of Memphis Law Review, Volume 47 (August 2016 – May 2017)
- CALI Awards for Negotiation and Mediation (Spring 2017), Land Use Law (Fall 2017), and Neighborhood Preservation Clinic (Fall 2017)
- Dean’s Award for Excellence, Best Memorandum (Fall 2015)
Gentry Locke wins Large Office category in Feeding America Southwest Virginia's 2019 "Legal Food Frenzy"News