Ben Law practices with the firm’s transactional group. Ben advises a variety of clients, including business organizations and business owners, on matters concerning commercial transactions and corporate governance. Ben regularly represents clients in connection with mergers and acquisitions, financing arrangements, real estate matters, tax matters, and corporate succession and estate planning. Ben also advises new and existing businesses in connection with governing documents, shareholder agreements, operating agreements, employment agreements, restrictive covenant agreements, and general contract matters. Prior to law school, Ben was a Senior Consultant in Deloitte’s commercial IT Advisory practice in the Greater Washington, D.C. area.
Legislative amendment co-authored
Cups of coffee daily
March Madness brackets won
If I weren't practicing law...
I would probably still be in the IT advisory field, where I focused on internal controls auditing, and consulting on mitigating technology risks.
Your last name is Law. Do you come from a family of lawyers?
No, and yes! While I don’t know of any lawyers on the Law side of the family, my mother's grandfather was a lawyer and a judge in Memphis, Tennessee until the early 1970s.
You are originally from Roanoke. What has changed the most since you last lived here?
A lot has changed in Roanoke, and it’s really exciting to see. While I was raised in the Raleigh Court neighborhood, I’ve noticed all the great options we now have to live downtown. I have especially enjoyed seeing old buildings repurposed into residential or mixed-use developments.
- The University of Memphis Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law, J.D. magna cum laude
- Virginia Tech Pamplin School of Business, M.S. and Accounting & Information Systems, B.S.
- Represented client in syndicated credit facility amendment
- Represented clients in commercial real estate matters, including purchase and sale transactions and commercial leases
- Acted as settlement agent for commercial real estate transactions
- Advised clients on land use matters, including special use permit applications and zoning violations
- Prepared stock purchase agreements
- Prepared asset purchase agreements
- Prepared independent contractor agreements
- Prepared employment agreements
- Prepared flight services agreements in accordance with FAA regulations
- Performed due diligence reviews
- Assisted individuals with new business entity formation
- Advised clients on stock repurchase plans
- Advised clients on local ordinances
- Prepared ordinances for local government clients
- Co-authored the 2018 legislative amendments to Tennessee’s Neighborhood Preservation Act (Tenn. Code Ann. § 13-6-101, et seq.)
- Member, Virginia State Bar (2018-Present)
- Law Student of the Year, Neighborhood Preservation, Inc. (Memphis, 2018)
- Articles Editor, University of Memphis Law Review, Volume 48 (January 2017 – May 2018)
- Staff Member, University of Memphis Law Review, Volume 47 (August 2016 – May 2017)
- CALI Awards for Negotiation and Mediation (Spring 2017), Land Use Law (Fall 2017), and Neighborhood Preservation Clinic (Fall 2017)
- Dean’s Award for Excellence, Best Memorandum (Fall 2015)
Gentry Locke wins Large Office category in Feeding America Southwest Virginia's 2019 "Legal Food Frenzy"News