Scott Austin is a trial attorney who specializes in complex litigation and complicated trial work. Scott has tried numerous jury trials in both Federal and State courts throughout Virginia and the Southeastern United States. Recently, Scott handled a Federal qui tam case in the state of Florida that resulted in $51 million settlement, which is believed to be the largest settlement in the state of Florida in 2022. Similarly, Scott handled a qui tam case in Virginia that resulted in the largest settlement in the Commonwealth of Virginia in 2018, $21 million.
In addition to handling qui tam/false claims act litigation, Scott specializes in other forms of intricate litigation, including representing businesses and individuals who either seek to protect wealth or who have difficult or high exposure matters.
Scott is admitted to practice law in both Virginia and the District of Columbia.
TV commercial appeared in as a child
Int'l. soccer matches representing Roanoke
Presidents of the USA met
What is key to a successful case?
A client’s case is about the facts, the law, and how the case is presented. The common denominator for success is preparation – one area where Gentry Locke excels. The most important part of being a lawyer is sincerity. Growing up in a family of lawyers, I learned that through sincerity, you build trust and respect. This is particularly important in criminal cases where the facts are often challenging.
I understand you are from a long line of lawyers. Did you consider an alternate career?
No. I have known from an early age that I wanted to be a lawyer. I was raised in a family of lawyers. I even married a lawyer.
Before you head into work each day, what is the one thing you will not skip?
Spending time with my son while he eats breakfast. It’s the best part of my day.
- College of William and Mary, Marshall-Wythe School of Law, J.D.
- University of Richmond, B.A. honors graduate
- Representation of False Claim Act relator on Florida case resulting in a $51 million settlement
- Representation of client in qui tam/False Claims Act case that results in the largest settlement in the Commonwealth of Virginia in 2018
- Representation of building contractors in Federal RICO action
- Representation of a national trucking client in Federal qui tam action
- Representation of an individual in complex, multi-million-dollar wrongful death actions
- Representation of State of Oregon in litigation arising from tobacco settlement
- Representation of former food company executive in a two-month jury trial in Federal Court involving several million documents and multiple federal and state government agencies
- Successful representation of corporate client before the United States Senate’s Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations
- Representation of numerous individual and corporate criminal defendants in federal and state courts
- Representation of individual in alleged domestic terrorism case
- Representation of County Administrator charged with embezzlement
- Representation of physician in case involving alleged euthanasia
- Representation of defendant in large mortgage fraud conspiracy
- Representation of defendant in alleged murder for hire
- Chair, Board of Directors, Council of Community Services (2006-2008)
- Executive Board, Council of Community Services (2002 to 2010)
- Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- Member, Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Member, Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Member, Criminal Law Section, Virginia Bar Association
- Member, National Moot Court Competition Board, Virginia Bar Association (2001)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, The Virginia Bar Association
- Member, Roanoke Bar Association
- Member, Virginia State Bar
- Member, District of Columbia Bar
- Named “Go To Worker’s Compensation Lawyer” by Virginia Lawyer’s Weekly (2021)
- Named in “Top Attorneys in the Roanoke Valley” by Roanoker Magazine (2011-2012)
- Named to Super Lawyers Business Edition US in the area of Criminal Defense/White Collar (2012)
- Designated as a Virginia Super Lawyer in the Criminal Defense White Collar category by Super Lawyers magazine(2011)
- Designated as one of the Virginia’s Legal Elite in the Young Lawyer category (2006) and Criminal Law category (2007) by Virginia Business magazine
- Named in “Best Lawyers in the Roanoke Valley” by Roanoker Magazine (2006)
- Managing White Collar Legal Issues, Chapter 13, Tools for Combating White Collar Crime: Utilizing the FBI and the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, Thompson Reuters/Aspatore (2008).
- Co-author, When are Your Premises “Vacant” for Purposes of Insurance Coverage?, J. Civ. Lit., Spring 2008.
Case StudiesThe results of client matters depend on a variety of factors unique to each matter. Past successes do not predict or guarantee future successes.
- Mar 7, 2014 — Defense of Explosive Products Liability Case
Gentry Locke Lawyers Featured in National Publications in Major Criminal Trial and Sentencing (United States v. Stewart Parnell)News
Ethical Issues Arising From Governmental Investigations and Potential Criminal Charges Under the Park DoctrineEvents
Defense of Explosive Products Liability Case The results of client matters depend on a variety of factors unique to each matter. Past successes do not predict or guarantee future successes.Case Studies