John Scheib is a partner in Gentry Locke’s General Commercial Practice Group. He is the former Chief Legal Officer and a former senior executive of Norfolk Southern Corporation, and has extensive deal-making, legislative, regulatory, and business experience. The majority of John’s career has been spent working in the legal aspects of the transportation and railroad industries. He has experience in strategic communications as well as in managing internal teams across a variety of practice areas. He is adept at managing administrative tasks as well as identifying and implementing process improvements.
John serves on the advisory board of Attorney Live and Telegraph and previously served on the board of directors for Conrail. He served as President of two captive insurance companies. John also served on the board of directors for the United States Chamber of Commerce from 2018 to 2020 and is an active member of the Virginia Bar Association’s Transportation section.
Pittsburgh Pirates bobbleheads
Branches of federal government in which I've served
Nights spent in a tent
People would be surprised to know...
I volunteered to go to Bosnia to help set up new institutions after the war.
Based on the number of Pirates bobbleheads you own, it's safe to assume you're a big Pittsburgh fan - right?
Absolutely. In addition to being a fervent Pirates fan, I'm also an enthusiastic member of Steeler Nation.
Do you have any hobbies?
Yes - Scouting! I'd say it's more of a passion, really, and it runs in the family! My son, daughter, and I are all proud Eagle Scouts. It's a huge part of my life. I've even worked 8 summers at a Scout camp. Sharing this passion of mine with others is incredibly rewarding. I look forward to many more summers at camp!
- Villanova University School of Law, J.D. magna cum laude with honors: Order of the Coif; Law Review; Hyman-Goodman Award; Leonard Levin Memorial Award; Wapner, Newman & Wigrizer Award
- University of Virginia, B.A.
Recognized legal elite with more than twenty years practicing law and leading and evolving a law department based on four pillars – quality legal advice timely, position for positive outcomes, cost effectiveness, and develop people. Extensive experience in commercial, litigation, regulatory, and antitrust law.
Government Relations and Communications Leader
Developed comprehensive media, political, and legal strategies to position NS as thought leader. Led multiple government relations campaigns to advance or oppose legislation or regulations. Led legal and public relations efforts to fight off takeover attempt. Coordinated cohesive public relations campaign called “Reimagine Possible” to position company as industry thought leader on technology in transportation, which was awarded Silver Bull Dog award for Best Public Relations campaign.
Leveraged data analytics to drive vision, direction, and culture change in Legal, Government Relations, Corporate Communications, Human Resources, and Labor Relations functions. Innovates with new tools, systems, and processes to streamline business operations, improve efficiencies, and reduce costs. Redesigned and focused organization around lowering the effort for customers to interact with the company, which is proven to be the key driver of customer loyalty.
Board Member and Advisor
Served on for-profit and not-for-profit boards and advisory boards to refine strategies and test management assumptions and plans.
Fundraiser and Trainer in Civic Roles
Chaired and worked 2020 Friends of Scouting campaign that is second best in Southern Region of BSA and finished at ~180% of 2019 campaign.
- Provided legal support to and worked with clients on a broad range of issues, including regulatory, legislative, and government relations issues; commercial contracts; business and transactional matters; antitrust issues; litigation strategy; and board issues.
- Has worked with companies of all sizes to advance their business interests through effective lawyering.
- Representative clients include Class I railroad that was target of takeover, including advising the Board of Directors; Class I railroad in regulatory proceeding to gain approval of acquisition of another Class I railroad; commercial vacuum company in commercial contract drafting; and a consulting firm in agreement drafting and negotiation.
- Served as Executive Vice President and Chief Strategy Officer at Norfolk Southern Corporation, one of the nation’s premier rail transportation companies with $11.5B in revenues and operating ~19,500 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia. Prior to this, John served as General Counsel/General Attorney, then Senior Vice President of Law and Corporate Relations, then Executive Vice President of Law and Administration/Chief Legal Officer for Norfolk Southern Corporation.
- Advisory Board, AttorneyLive (2020-present)
- Advisory Board member, Telegraph, “Early stage startup transforming the rail industry through category-defining software” (2020- present)
- Conrail, Board of Directors (2018); Benefits Committee (2016-2018)
- General American Insurance Company (NSC Vermont captive), President (2017-2018)
- General Security Insurance Company (NCS Bermuda captive), President (2017-2018)
- Railroads Subcommittee, Public Utilities and Railroads Section, American Bar Association, Vice Chairman (2009-2020)
- United States Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors (2018-2020)
- Association of American Railroads, Policy and Management Committee or its subcommittees (2005-2020)
- Virginia Bar Association, member of Transportation Section; past Chair Corporate Counsel Section (present)
- Tidewater Council, BSA, Executive Board (2010-present)
- 2020 Chairman of Friends of Scouting Fundraising Campaign, doubling campaign size. Southern Region. 2020 campaign finished at ~180% of 2019 campaign.
- Vice President of Membership (2015-2017)
- Silver Beaver Award (2020)
- Council Alumnus of the Year (2020, first in Tidewater Council)
- Admitted to Bar in Virginia
- Harvard Business School, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Certificate: General Management Program (2015)
Honors: Strategy Competition Finalist
- University of Virginia Darden School of Business, Charlottesville, VA
Executive Education for Norfolk Southern Employees (2007)
- Named a Virginia Legal Elite, Virginia Business Magazine (2011-2013, 2018)
- Awarded the Surface Transportation Board Award for Excellence (2003)
- Received the Secretary’s Team Award, from Secretary of Transportation, Norman Y. Mineta (2005)
- Named Outstanding Young Virginian of the Year, awarded by the Virginia Jaycees (2002)
- Eagle Scout