Gentry Locke provides advice to a broad range of employers, large publicly traded companies, privately held businesses, churches and other nonprofit and tax exempt organizations, state and local governments, and professional firms in connection with executive compensation arrangements. These include nonqualified deferred compensation and incentive programs and equity ownership arrangements, all of which have to be tailored in light of changes to the Internal Revenue Code under § 409A.
Our attorneys also represent executives and other professionals on a wide variety of employment issues. We help executives and professionals on the front-end when negotiating contracts and compensation packages or in evaluating whether their rights under a contract have been violated, during an internal or governmental investigation, and on the back-end when the relationship goes sour. Our clients have included corporate CEOs and other senior executives, as well as other professionals from financial services companies, accountants, physicians, college and public high school coaches and administrators, and government contractors.
The types of issues we have addressed are:
- Executive contracts with venture-capital and equity investors (including incentive compensation, stock options and related issues)
- Executive contracts with privately held and public companies (including negotiating and litigating change of control provisions)
- Negotiating and litigating physician employment contracts with hospitals and physician groups
- Negotiating and litigating contracts for college coaches and administrators
- Litigating “for cause” termination provisions for companies as well as executives, accountants and coaches
- Litigating benefits under change in control and stock option agreements
- Litigating breach of fiduciary duty and restrictive covenant claims made against executives and physicians
- Representing and defending executives, physicians and coaches in investigations of alleged unlawful or wrongful conduct