Noah Sullivan has a diverse litigation practice, focused on high-stakes trial litigation. Noah has deep litigation experience in federal and state courts across the nation. Prior to joining Gentry Locke, Noah cut his teeth for over nine years at the Washington, D.C. office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP. He also previously served as Deputy Counsel and then Counsel to Governor Terry McAuliffe of Virginia. At Gentry Locke, Noah combines his commercial litigation experience and Virginia-government experience to help clients navigate their most significant litigation, regulatory, and government-facing challenges.
Major life events in 6 months
Living room karaoke songs sung
Civil Rights Restored
Long Haired Dachshund
4 major life events in 6 months? That sounds intense - tell us more!
Our family has landed on a big 2022: new job, new home, new puppy, and new human. After accepting my position with Gentry Locke, we also made the move from D.C. to Richmond and bought a new home. We adopted a new puppy and, to top it all off, my wife and I are expecting our first child in August 2022. What can I say? We are grateful to have this full plate!
I see that you've helped to restore civil rights to many people - that must be incredibly rewarding. Can you elaborate on this admirable work?
I am very proud of the work I did for Governor McAuliffe to advance his initiative to restore civil rights to Virginians who otherwise were disenfranchised for life, due to a prior felony conviction. This impacted hundreds of thousands of Virginians, including those who had long completed their sentences. Governor McAuliffe led on this issue, and he acted to restore civil rights to every Virginia who had completed their sentences.
I helped develop the legal framework and litigation strategy for his bold, historic initiative, and—after some controversy—Governor McAuliffe successfully restored civil rights to over 175,000 Virginians. As a lawyer, I have found nothing more rewarding than using my skills to help right a wrong; and, thanks to Governor McAuliffe, I had the honor of do so in a way that has brought full citizenship to thousands upon thousands of Virginians.
You recently moved from D.C. to Richmond to join us at Gentry Locke. Where is home for you?
I’m a devout Virginian and have been fortunate to experience many of the wonderful cities and towns here. I'm originally from Lynchburg. I attended UVA in Charlottesville before moving away for law school. I made my way back to Virginia to work for former Governor Terry McAuliffe. I've spent the recent years in the DMV and am very happy to be back in Richmond!
- Stanford Law School, J.D.
- University of Virginia, B.A. with Highest Distinction
- Represented clients in numerous cases in federal and state courts, tackling significant matters on a broad spectrum of legal and factual issues, including:
- Litigating trademark dispute on behalf of plaintiff in the Eastern District of Virginia, leading to favorable global settlement.
- Obtaining full defense victory for client in arbitration proceeding arising from tax dispute in a multi-billion dollar transaction.
- Representing major insurance company in series of cases primarily pending in South Carolina state court related to novel theories of liability in asbestos exposure cases.
- Defending large retail company in series of wage and hour litigations and arbitrations.
- Representing Canadian lumber producer in countervailing duties dispute before the Department of Commerce and bi-national review panels.
- Conducting discovery and preparation for retrial in False Claims Act case brought by the United States against a major government contractor, which led to favorable settlement.
- Obtaining reversal of multi-million dollar False Claims Act judgment in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
- Representing non-profit hospital in appeal of enormous False Claims Act judgment in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
- Representing health care company in multi-jurisdictional health care fraud investigation.
- Conducting internal investigation on behalf of client in response to sexual misconduct scandal with top executive.
- Noah also maintains an active pro bono practice, which has included defending indigent litigants facing criminal charges in the Eastern District of Virginia and representing plaintiff in Section 1983 suit against locality in the District of Maryland.
- Served as chief legal advisor to the Governor of Virginia and Cabinet on all aspects of state government, including:
- Overseeing review of all regulatory actions pending before executive branch agencies and took lead role in legislative efforts related to the Virginia Administrative Process Act.
- Reviewing legislation passed by the General Assembly, as well as developing executive orders and directives to advance the Governor’s priorities.
- Developing legal framework and litigation strategy for Governor’s historic restoration of rights program, which successfully restored voting rights to over 175,000 ex-felons in Virginia.
- Advising Governor and Secretary of Public Safety and Homeland Security on issues surrounding 2017 white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia and follow-on executive orders and actions.
- Litigating remedial plan in Congressional redistricting case on behalf of Governor McAuliffe, which resulted in Governor’s advocated creation of second minority opportunity district in Virginia.
* Representative matters reflect work prior to joining Gentry Locke
- Member, Virginia State Bar
- Member, District of Columbia Bar
- Admitted to practice law in Virginia and the District of Columbia
- Admitted to the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia, the District of the District of Columbia, the District of Maryland, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit