Amanda Morgan is a Partner in Gentry Locke’s commercial litigation practice group where she serves diverse clients in a variety of complex lawsuits including contract and business disputes; estate litigation; product, premises and general liability claims; and employment issues. She also represents a number of governmental clients including community service boards, school boards, housing authorities, and local governments. Additionally, she assists clients before and in the early stages of litigation by applying practical, business, and legal solutions which often allow them to avoid expensive and lengthy litigation.
Books I read per month
Very active boys
Miles traveled following my Tar Heels
Places I still want to travel to
If I wasn't practicing law...
I would probably be helping out with the family business (lumber) and spending as much time as possible with my two sons.
People would be surprised to know...
Before attending law school I worked as a child protective services social worker.
What do you like to do outside of work?
After sitting much of the day, I want to get moving. My two busy sons keep me active on a daily basis. We enjoy tennis, fishing, waterskiing, and snow skiing. I’m also a voracious reader and look forward to quiet times that allow me to dive into the latest book.
Tell us an important life lesson you live by.
I believe it’s important to possess a strong work ethic and I try to instill that value in my sons, just as my parents did with me. In addition, each day is an opportunity to be kind and respectful to others.
- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D. magna cum laude
- University of North Carolina, B.A.
- Represented business owners in disputes with co-owners as well as third parties
- Represented businesses in complex contract and business tort disputes
- Represented executors, trustees, and beneficiaries in estate and trust litigation
- Represented individuals injured by industrial machinery and unsafe conditions as well as motor vehicles
- Represented individuals in boundary disputes, partition suits, and other real estate litigation
- Represented various employers in defending charges of discrimination
- Represented housing authority in contract and discrimination litigation
- Represented local government in FOIA, personnel, tax, zoning, real estate, procurement, and code enforcement matters
- Represented local community services board and school board in personnel and compliance matters
- Served as local counsel in patent and business litigation
- Virginia State Bar (2005)
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia (2006)
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia (2007)
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit (2008)
- U.S. Supreme Court (2011)
- Young Lawyers Conference Circuit Representative, Past Circuit Representative for 10th Judicial Circuit
- Member, McNeil Law Society (2005)
- Senior Staff Member, University of Richmond Law Review (2003-2005)
Case StudiesThe results of client matters depend on a variety of factors unique to each matter. Past successes do not predict or guarantee future successes.
- Aug 25, 2020 — $8,000,000 awarded in Products Liability Case
- Apr 4, 2018 — Summary Judgment in Breach of Contract action defeats $700,000 claim
- Apr 3, 2017 — Gentry Locke attorneys secure settlement for orphaned toddler
$8,000,000 awarded in Products Liability Case The results of client matters depend on a variety of factors unique to each matter. Past successes do not predict or guarantee future successes.Case Studies
Summary Judgment in Breach of Contract action defeats $700,000 claim The results of client matters depend on a variety of factors unique to each matter. Past successes do not predict or guarantee future successes.Case Studies
Gentry Locke attorneys secure settlement for orphaned toddler The results of client matters depend on a variety of factors unique to each matter. Past successes do not predict or guarantee future successes.Case Studies