Kirk Sosebee practices in the firm’s Construction Litigation and Business Litigation sections. In his construction practice, Kirk represents owners, general contractors, subcontractors, and design professionals with issues relating to construction contract negotiations and preparation, payment disputes, mechanic’s liens, construction defects, delay claims, and OSHA matters. Kirk also represents clients in government contractor debarment proceedings and False Claims Act/whistleblower actions. Kirk is licensed to practice law in Virginia and the District of Columbia.
Excellent fellow attorneys at the firm
Why I love being a lawyer...
I truly enjoy helping clients solve problems. Attorneys can do a lot of good by using creative problem-solving to help our clients avoid litigation, when possible. If we do get to litigation, my competitive side really comes, and I work hard to help our clients win.
If I wasn’t practicing law...
I would do something sports-related. I would enjoy coaching football or baseball, or being a sports commentator. I love the teamwork and competition in sports – similar to the things I enjoy about being a lawyer.
Which of the six states you lived in was your favorite?
As an Air Force family, we got to see some interesting places. I'd have to say that Georgia and Virginia are my favorites. I really love living life out in the country. Southwest Virginia is a great place to raise kids, and we’re very happy and blessed to be living near family.
- Patrick Henry College, B.A. 2010
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D. 2014
- Represents clients in complex construction disputes
- Represents clients in OSHA matters
- Represents clients in debarment proceedings
- Represented both defendants and relators in False Claims Act cases valued over $100M
- Represents clients in a wide range of commercial litigation settings, including cases involving the Virginia Consumer Protection Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act, the Sherman Antitrust Act, and questions of sovereign immunity for State agencies
- Worked on a Supreme Court amicus brief at the petition for certiorari stage
- Pro bono projects, including representing clients bringing VCPA claims and researching and compiling information on state Freedom of Information Acts
- Secretary, Federal Bar Association, Roanoke Chapter (2017-Present)
- Associate, Ted Dalton American Inn of Court (2017-Present)
- Member, Associated General Contractors of Virginia (2016-Present)
- Member, The Virginia Bar Association (2016-Present)
- Member, Roanoke Bar Association (2016-Present)
- Member, American Bar Association (2015-Present)
- Best Oralist, Legal Research & Writing Moot Court, 1L section, University of Virginia School of Law
- Editorial Board, Virginia Journal of Social Policy & the Law
Gentry Locke wins Large Office category in Feeding America Southwest Virginia's 2019 "Legal Food Frenzy"News