Clark Worthy has a B.S. in Finance from the University of Virginia, McIntire School of Commerce and has spent 20 years working with individuals on their personal financial matters, and with private corporations on governance, merger and acquisition, real estate and financing matters. For the past 10 years, Clark has primarily devoted his practice to commercial real estate matters including purchases, sales, leases, tax-free exchanges, financings and, most recently, retail net lease properties. Clark is a contributing author to the Virginia Hospitality Law blog at www.vahospitalitylaw.com. A Partner in the firm, Clark is recognized among the Best Lawyers in America for Real Estate Law.
Years practicing law
Years lived in Virginia
Kids, all in college
With your background in Finance, did you ever consider pursuing a different career?
I began work in Accounting, wanted to be a Certified Financial Planner®, and always thought I’d get my MBA. Along the way, though, I took the LSAT, scored well, and decided I’d enjoy being a business attorney.
What do you enjoy doing for fun?
We are big football fans and like to travel by RV to watch the Gamecocks and visit friends we’ve made in Columbia, SC.
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, J.D. magna cum laude, 1992
- University of Virginia, McIntire School of Commerce, B.S. in Finance, 1986
- Work with developers in Blacksburg and Smith Mountain Lake who specialize in residential and commercial subdivisions
- Worked on both the acquisition by and the sale of commercial properties to local banks for the location of new branch banks
- Worked with a national developer to close a land lease that was a critical piece of a larger phased retail development
- Worked on the acquisition and sale of several local businesses including a veterinary practice, dental practices and manufacturing companies
- Worked on several estate administrations and assisted beneficiaries with post-mortem planning
- Worked with individuals and corporations in 1031 Like-Kind and Reverse Like-Kind Exchange transactions
- Assist a large non-profit organization with its low-income housing projects, general corporate work and loan programs
- Corporate counsel for several local businesses including physician practices, a landscaper and developer, insurance agents, contractors and subcontractors, provider of assistance programs to disabled individuals and a mortgage broker
- Assisted a wireless communications provider and a tower company in obtaining Special Use Permits for the construction of cellular towers
- Member and Former Board Chair, Apple Ridge Farm
- Past Board Chairman, Presbyterian Community Center in Roanoke
- Past Board Member, Roanoke Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Graduate, Leadership Roanoke Valley
- Law Clerk to the Honorable H. Emory Widener, Jr., U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit, 1992-1993
- Named one of The Best Lawyers in America® in Real Estate Law (2012-2017)
- Named a “Legal Eagle” for Real Estate Law by Virginia Living magazine (2012)
Twenty-two Attorneys named to 2014 Best Lawyers in America list; Firm Ranked in Tier 1 for Best Law FirmsNews