Jasdeep’s practice focuses on energy and environmental law. Prior to joining the firm, Jasdeep was a full-time legal extern for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in Colorado, and held a summer law clerk position with the Sierra Club’s Environmental Law program. He also held a position as a clinician with the Vermont Law School Energy Clinic.
Soccer teams I've captained
Times I've listened to Drake albums
Deliveries made as a Jimmy John's driver
You've served as a captain on every soccer team on which you've played. That's impressive! How has that impacted your life?
Captaining has taught me so much about leadership. My college team had some team culture issues – and our talent alone proved inadequate when it came to winning games and creating a strong culture. As a captain, I recognized this problem and implemented a series of new policies in an attempt to bring the players together and combat the issue. The planning and hard work eventually paid off big time, as we went on to make it to a conference tournament for the first time in 7 years. In 2018, I was honored with the Distinguished Leadership Award for my work. It was incredible to play such a major role in restoring the team culture, and that sense of accomplishment drives me in my everyday life to push myself and others to be better.
It sounds like you're a pretty invested Drake fan - what about his music impacts you?
For me, the best part about music is its ability to make you feel different emotions and bring back memories. Drake's music has carried me through some of my most influential years. I started listening to him when I was in the 8th grade so, as you can imagine, I have a lot of memories and impactful life experiences that took place while Drake was simultaneously releasing new music. He's also known for his intriguing one-liners, and there are a ton of instances in my life that I can relate to some of his best.
You had an opportunity to study abroad in New Zealand. Tell us about that!
It was life-changing. I was able to experience people, places, and things I never could've imagined. A particularly notable experience involved hiking on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing, one of the top ten rated single-day treks in the world. The hike was awe-inspiring and the scenery was breathtaking. A highlight of the trek included summiting an ancient dormant volcano, then descending into the crater, where we found stunning emerald hued lakes turned green from sulfur exposure. While in New Zealand, I also took the opportunity to try surfing - even though I can't swim! Unsurprisingly, I became painfully familiar with the sensation of drowning that day, but it's an activity I'm glad to say I've tried!
- Vermont Law School, J.D. cum laude/Masters in Energy Regulation and Law
- Denison University, B.A.
- Worked as a legal extern for the Environmental Protection Agency, Region 8, supporting a team of attorneys on complex enforcement, compliance, and counseling actions
- Clerked with the Sierra Club Environmental Law Program
- Worked as a legal clinician with the Vermont Law School Energy Clinic
- Member, Virginia State Bar
- Executive Committee, Environmental and Energy Law Section of the Richmond Bar Association
- Virginia Bar
- Presenter, “PFAS is Coming,” Gentry Locke Seminar, Roanoke & Richmond, VA, September 16, 2022 (Roanoke) & September 28, 2022 (Richmond)
- Panelist, Environmental Justice Panel at the University of Richmond Law School
- Panelist, Career Paths in Environmental Law Panel at the University of Richmond Law School