Trey Smith is a Partner at Gentry Locke who focuses his practice on the representation of plaintiffs in personal injury and wrongful death cases. Over his 24 years with Gentry Locke, Trey has taken to trial cases involving medical malpractice, products liability, premises liability, private and commercial motor vehicle accidents, defamation, malicious prosecution, and toxic exposure, among others.
Job since law school
If you weren’t practicing law, what career would you have pursued?
When you leave work, what do you enjoy doing most?
My wife, Lisa, and I are consumed chasing our three kids around and enjoying their activities in sports and theater. I also try to add some balance to life with a bit of training myself – biking, running, swimming. I’ve competed in many triathlons and Ironman events. My “bucket list” race is The Race Across the Sky, the Leadville Trail 100 MTB.
What important step in your morning routine do you try to never skip?
Walking my youngest to school and reading the paper each morning with a cup of coffee in hand. I was a paperboy for 4 years as a kid so I have an old school respect for the black ink of the printed news.
What’s on your bucket list in addition to the Leadville 100?
Heli-skiing in Alaska, an extended European “escape” with Lisa and riding my bike cross-country (but not necessarily in that order!).
- College of William and Mary, Marshall-Wythe School of Law, J.D. 1991
- University of Virginia, B.A. 1987
- Attained 1.1 million dollar verdict in Tazewell County, Virginia for 59 year old female plaintiff in case involving the failure to diagnose colon cancer
- Successfully represented parents of 27 year old, mentally handicapped young man who died of complications of pneumonia less than 3 weeks after his family admitted him to a State rehabilitation facility
- Successfully represented 87 year old female at trial who, when undergoing surgery to repair her fractured hip, awoke to find that the doctor pinned and plated the wrong hip
- Represented optometrist in federal court asserting RICO claims against former employees and office manager who misappropriated her patient list and solicited her patients to the practice of a competing optometrist
- Represented restaurant owner in federal court contract action against national insurance company which denied fire loss coverage subsequent to accidental fire which destroyed steakhouse in Winston Salem, N.C.
- Represented parents of 53 year old, incompetent man who sustained numerous falls at defendant rehabilitation facility resulting in severely comminuted knee fracture and loss of mobility
- Received favorable verdict on behalf of truck driver for large-chain grocery store who was injured in a 3-car accident
- Represent family of 41 year old coal miner killed while operating a remotely controlled, continuous miner manufactured by Joy Mining, Inc.
- Drafted Brief Amicus Curiae for VTLA in matter of Bostic v. Kuney which was successfully appealed to Virginia Supreme Court
- President, The Ted Dalton American Inn of Court (2019-Present)
- Member, Etheridge Society
- Member, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, American Association for Justice
- Designated as one of the Legal Elite by Virginia Business magazine (2006)
Case StudiesThe results of client matters depend on a variety of factors unique to each matter. Past successes do not predict or guarantee future successes.
$1.75 Million Settlement for Fall Victim due to Nursing Malpractice The results of client matters depend on a variety of factors unique to each matter. Past successes do not predict or guarantee future successes.Case Studies
Tragic Failure to Properly Diagnose and Treat Results in Jury Verdict for $2.75 Million The results of client matters depend on a variety of factors unique to each matter. Past successes do not predict or guarantee future successes.Case Studies