Gentry Locke’s appellate lawyers have over 100 years of combined appellate experience in more than 200 appeals. We routinely appear in the Supreme Court of Virginia, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, and the Court of Appeals of Virginia. We’re familiar with the rules and procedures of these courts, as well as the judicial philosophies of their members.
But as important as experience may be, results matter more.
Over the years, our team has earned an outstanding reputation for effective appellate representation. Outside law firms now routinely refer matters to us on appeal.
Our size and resources allow us to handle bet-the-company litigation, but our reasonable approach has let us remain an easy partner to bring along on smaller cases. Some of our representative appeals include:
- Willard v. Moneta Bldg. Supply, Inc., 258 Va. 140, 515 S.E.2d 277 (1999)
- Hill v. Crum, 727 F.3d 312 (4th Cir. 2013)
- Banks v. Mario Indus. of Va., Inc., 274 Va. 438, 650 S.E.2d 687 (2007)
- Lasley v. Hylton, 2014 Va. LEXIS 149 (Oct. 31, 2014)
- Blair v. Defender Servs., 386 F.3d 623 (4th Cir. 2004)
- Burke v. Burke, 52 Va. App. 183, 662 S.E.2d 622 (2008)
- Dunn Constr. Co. v. Cloney, 278 Va. 260, 682 S.E.2d 943 (2009)
- Taboada v. Daly Seven, Inc., 271 Va. 313, 626 S.E.2d 428 (2006), adhered to on rehearing, 641 S.E.2d 68 (2007)
- Sawyer v. Comerci, 264 Va. 68, 563 S.E.2d 748 (2002)
- Levisa Coal Co. v. Consolidation Coal Co., 276 Va. 44, 662 S.E.2d 44 (2008)
We offer a range of appellate service, including:
- Assisting at trial with critical motions and briefing
- Preserving issues for appellate review
- Handling post-trial motions
- Reviewing and analyzing the record for appellate issues
- Evaluating potential appeal points
- Preparing the record for appeal
- Coordinating appeal and suspension bonds
- Noting and perfecting the appeal
- Briefing the appeal
- Arguing the appeal
- Handling petitions for rehearing
- Pursuing costs after the conclusion of the appeal
We are glad to help trial counsel with any part of this process, but we’re most effective when we handle the entire appeal from start to finish, ensuring compliance with rules and deadlines. Our real competitive advantage comes into play during the briefing stage and at the end of the process, with oral argument. We make those precious minutes count, leveraging every bit of our experience and reputation before Virginia’s state and federal courts to make the strongest case possible for our clients.Have questions? Contact us.