Mia Yugo is a litigation attorney in the firm’s Criminal & Government Investigations group. Mia focuses her practice on complex litigation matters including white collar fraud, qui tam/whistleblower actions brought under the False Claims Act (FCA), healthcare fraud, tax issues, public corruption, regulatory matters, racketeering, corporate internal investigations, and financial crimes. Mia also represents individuals and corporations in a variety of actions, including insurance defense, defamation defense, and other civil matters.
In late 2018, the American Journal of Trial Advocacy published Mia’s law review article on the use of statistical sampling in False Claims Act/whistleblower fraud cases entitled “Can Statistical Sampling Be Used to Prove Liability Under the FCA or Does Each Provision of the Statute Require Individual Proofs?” 41 Am. J. Trial Advoc. 335 (2018).
Mia was the 2016 Champion of the National Basketball Negotiations Competition hosted by the Fordham University Sports Law Forum in New York, NY and the 2015 First Runner Up at the National Tax Moot Court Competition hosted by the Florida Bar Association. Mia also had the privilege of being selected to represent Team USA as America’s negotiator in the World Negotiation Championships in Lucerne, Switzerland, in 2016. During law school, Mia was Editor-in-Chief of The Legal Journal and Articles and Book Reviews Editor on Law Review.
In her spare time, Mia is a Negotiations Coach for teams preparing to compete in the ABA Negotiations Tournaments and National Basketball Negotiation Competition in New York. In February 2019, the 2L Negotiations Team that Mia coached placed in the Top 8 teams in the nation out of 193 total teams that competed, thus winning a top spot as National Quarterfinalists at the 2019 ABA National Negotiations Competition in Chicago, IL.
Mia is admitted to practice law in New York and Virginia.
Comedies/plays written, produced, directed by age 17
Countries in which I've lived
Unusual and devilishly handsome dog
What do you do in your spare time?
I enjoy writing. Beyond that, antiquing.
What is one thing you never skip in your morning routine?
An Italian espresso.
You like classical music. Would you listen to anything else?
Yes. Elvis, Cash, and Twitty.
- University of Toronto, Trinity College, Hon. B.A., with high distinction (2013), Margaret MacMillan Trinity One Program (2010)
- Liberty University School of Law, J.D. cum laude (2016)
United States Supreme Court
- Petition for Writ of Certiorari to the Supreme Court of the United States in Orus Ashby Berkley et al. v. Federal Energy Regulatory Commission et al ., a highly publicized constitutional eminent domain case involving individual landowners in Virginia and West Virginia fighting for their right to private property and individual liberty. The only issue that was the subject of the Cert Petition at the U.S. Supreme Court was whether the District Court had subject matter jurisdiction to hear a constitutional challenge to the Natural Gas Act (“NGA”)
White Collar/Qui Tam
- Successfully defended corporate qui tam defendant; drafted motion to dismiss a federal qui tam action for failure to plead fraud with particularity under Rule 9(b)
- Successfully defended corporate entity in Eighth Amendment challenges; drafted motion to dismiss a federal suit involving Eighth Amendment challenges
- Successfully negotiated with foreign embassy/diplomats to obtain reinstatement of white collar client’s benefits in foreign country
- Successfully drafted bond appeal pleadings in federal court for white collar criminal defendant in highly publicized case involving university research and National Science Foundation (NSF) grant fraud
- Member of Gentry Locke’s criminal defense team that successfully obtained plea agreement for large trucking company and one of its four officers, indicted on over 120 felonies and facing a $40 million forfeiture count
Insurance Coverage/Insurance Defense
- Successfully defended against $1.35 million wrongful death action; obtained dismissal with prejudice on all counts following briefing and oral argument in Circuit Court (June 2019)
- Successfully defended corporate client and its two individual officers in Virginia Circuit Court; won dismissal on all four (4) demurrers against charges of actual fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and breach of various bylaws; also successfully delivered oral argument in Circuit Court, arguing legal grounds for the four demurrers
- Successfully defended individual client in federal court defamation suit involving highly publicized water poisoning case; drafted 20-page supplemental brief in support of individual defendant’s 12(b)(6) motion to dismiss; obtained dismissal of entire Complaint that sought $3 million in damages
- Successfully defended client in state defamation suit; drafted all motions (demurrers, pleas in bar, motion craving oyer, answer, and affirmative defenses) and brief in support of motions; obtained dismissal with prejudice (with an Order granting demurrer and plea in bar, on the merits) of a $200,000 defamation suit in Virginia Circuit Court
- Successfully defended criminal client in state court on charges resulting from serious boating accident on Smith Mountain Lake that caused serious bodily injuries; obtained dismissal of all charges on a Motion to Strike the evidence after cross-examination; tried case as First Chair and obtained “Not Guilty” verdict
- Successfully defended client in state court on criminal charges resulting from two-car accident that caused serious bodily injury; successfully tried case as First Chair against Commonwealth’s Attorney and won in General District Court on defense Motion to Strike; obtained dismissal of all charges for client
Other Civil and Mediation
- Successfully represented plaintiff in obtaining judgment in negligence action and successfully represented another client in insurance settlement
- Successfully settled/set aside $500,000 entry of default on behalf of Fortune 500 client; wrote federal court Motion to Set Aside Entry of Default, drafted Mediation Statement, and argued legal issues during mediation
- Admitted, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit (2017), United States District Court, Western District of Virginia (2018) and Eastern District of Virginia (2019)
- Member, Virginia State Bar (2018-Present)
- Member, New York State Bar (2017-Present)
- Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL) (2017-Present)
- Member, Supreme Court Historical Society (2017-Present)
- Member, Criminal Justice Section, American Bar Association (2017-Present)
- Member, New York State Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section (2017-Present)
- Champion, NBA National Basketball Negotiation Competition, Fordham Sports Law Forum, New York, NY (2016)
- First Runner-up, National Tax Moot Court Competition, Florida Bar Association, FL (2015)
- Finalist, ABA Regional Negotiation Competition, VA (2015)
- Finalist, Top Five, World Negotiation Competition representing Team USA, Switzerland (2016)
- Champion, Oral Argument, 2L/3L Moot Court Competition, Liberty University (2014)
- Best Brief Award, 2L/3L Moot Court Competition, Liberty University (2014)
- University of Toronto Elizabeth Comper Scholarship for Academic Excellence
- Trinity College Award of Academic Excellence, four-time recipient (2009-2013)
- Viewers’ Choice Award for Tangent on a Tangent, an Original Comedy, University of Toronto Drama Festival, Hart House Theatre, Toronto, ON (2010)
- Wayne Fairhead New Play Award, The Impressionist Wing, Sears Drama Festival, Playwrights Canada Press
- First Place, NBA Raptors Journalism Competition, Toronto, ON (2006)
- First Place, Human Rights and Race Relations Essay Competition, Toronto, ON (2008)
- Co-author, Can Statistical Sampling Be Used to Prove Liability Under the FCA or Does Each Provision of the Statute Require Individual Proofs?; 41 Am. J. Trial Advoc. 335 (2018)
- Co-author, Settlement Restrictions on False Claims Act (FCA) Qui Tam Actions: A Strict Application of Law or a Waste of Judicial Resources?; The Liberty Lawyer, A Publication of Liberty University (2017 Edition)
- The Impressionist Wing, An Original Comedy, Festival Voices, Playwrights Canada Press (May 2010)
Landowners in Virginia fighting for private property rights file Appeal with United States Supreme CourtNews